On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 03:44:31PM +0100, Pier Carlo Chiodi wrote:
> >Wild idea: Could it be solved by adding more information to SERVFAIL
> >answer?
>
> a draft was proposed with this very topic, but it's expired now:
>
>   https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-hunt-dns-server-diagnostics/

I'd be happy to revive it, especially now that it's explicitly within
dnsop's remit.  I don't recall anyone objecting to the idea; it just
wasn't high-urgency and I had other business to attend to.

It's important that diagnostic signaling only be used for human
troubleshooting purposes and not as input to a policy decision, such
as "ignore DNSSEC failures due to expired signatures" or something,
because the diagnostic messages would be trivial to spoof.

--
Evan Hunt -- e...@isc.org
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.