Moin!

On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 10:11:55PM +0000, Darcy Kevin (FCA) wrote:
> Intriguing. I think there might be a temptation to take this idea one step
> further and say that preference should be given to the *smallest* RRset
> possible -- to reduce the degree of amplification.  But that would be a
> mistake.  It would, for instance, discriminate IPv4 over IPv6 (since A
> records are smaller than AAAA records) and certain services over others
> (SRV records are larger than MX records are larger than A records).
You can make an A record response that is a lot larger than an AAAA
response, as you reply with an RRSET that can hold a lot of A records.
That is the currently very popular with attackers that create purpose
build amplification domains.

>  When
> the client doesn't get the RRset it wants from the QTYPE=* query, it'll
> follow up with one or more subsequent queries for the type(s) it cares
> about.  Not very efficient, and the end result is more "amplification"
> than was hoped for.
I think we agreed long ago somewhere in this threat that all of this will
not help with reducing amplification attacks.

Other than that I think it could work, as ANY != ALL ;-).

So long
-Ralf