First off - thanks for writing this. I personally *hate* writing
terminology sections in drafts; that someone is willing to write an
entire terminology draft, especially one on DNS fills me with awe...

Anyway, Section 3:
"Some of response codes that are defined in [RFC1035] have gotten
   their own shorthand names.  Some common response code names that
   appear without reference to the numeric value are "FORMERR",
   "SERVFAIL", and "NXDOMAIN".  All of the RCODEs are listed at
   http://www.iana.org/assignments/dns-parameters/dns-parameters.xhtml,
   although that site uses mixed-case capitalization, while most
   documents use all-caps."

This is all true, but I'm not sure it says enough. I've used the term
NXDOMAIN in a few documents, and folk have pointed out that the are
not actually defined (or that it is an implementation specific term
(because of case?!)) , so we end up with things like:
"... MUST return a DNS response with the RCODE set to 3 (also commonly
known as an 'NXDOMAIN')".

I realize that this is a terminology draft, and not a definition doc,
but if it had something like:

NXDOMAIN -- A colloquial expression for RCODE 3, also commonly written
as 'NXDomain' or 'Non-Existent Domain'
or something similar we could write cleaner documents....

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 2:13 PM,  <internet-dra...@ietf.org> wrote:

> directories.
>  This draft is a work item of the Domain Name System Operations Working Group
> of the IETF.
>
>         Title           : DNS Terminology
>         Authors         : Paul Hoffman
>                           Andrew Sullivan
>                           Kazunori Fujiwara
>         Filename        : draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-terminology-01.txt
>         Pages           : 21
>         Date            : 2015-04-29
>
> Abstract:
>    The DNS is defined in literally dozens of different RFCs.  The
>    terminology used in by implementers and developers of DNS protocols,
>    and by operators of DNS systems, has sometimes changed in the decades
>    since the DNS was first defined.  This document gives current
>    definitions for many of the terms used in the DNS in a single
>    document.

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-terminology/

> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-terminology-01

> https:https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-terminology-01