On Apr 30, 2015, at 11:07 AM, Paul Hoffman <paul.hoff...@vpnc.org> wrote:

> On Apr 30, 2015, at 7:35 AM, Andrew Sullivan <a...@anvilwalrusden.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 07:28:21PM +0000, Edward Lewis wrote:
>>> #ccTLD -- A TLD that is allocated to a country.  Historically, these
>>> #were two-letter TLDs, and were allocated to countries using the two-
>>> #letter code from the ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 standard [ISO3166].  In
>>> #recent years, there have been allocations of TLDs that conform to
>>> #IDNA2008 ([RFC5890], [RFC5891], [RFC5892], [RFC5893], and [RFC5894]);
>>> #these are still treated as ccTLDs for policy purposes.
>>>
>>> "Country" is a loaded term.  I don't have a better suggestion in mind but
>>> there are many instances where a ccTLD is a territory, etc.  I don't mean
>>> to open a rathole, just point this out.
>>
>> If we changed this to say, "A TLD that is allocated using the UN
>> country list using the the two-letter code from the ISO 3166-1 alpha-2
>> standard [ISO3166]," would that address your concern?
>
> I would be fine with that wording, but it doesn't hint at what "cc" stands
> for. Again, Jon Postel used the word "country code" and "country this" and
> "country that" quite liberally in RFC 1591. I'm not convinced we need to step
> away from that now.

I don't think we do. How about:

"ccTLD-- Informally, a TLD that is allocated to a country or similar geographic
or economic entity, defined as a matter of policy. More formally, a TLD that is
allocated…."

The reference to ISO3166 is important to explain as a matter of technical
correctness, but the more colloquial usage is what people expect.

Does that help?

best,
Suzanne