On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 11:59 AM, Andrew Sullivan <a...@anvilwalrusden.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 01:48:41PM -0400, Ted Lemon wrote:
> >
> > This is a really good point.   I think there does need to be a .ALT
> registry in order for .ALT to be able to address anything other than
> experimental uses.
> And I think this would actually be a good thing.
>
> If we created a registry for alt, how would alt not be just another
> TLD with exactly the same status as any other domain name registry?
> You can already register a name in the DNS registries and not turn it
> on in the DNS.
>
> What you're suggesting is that the IETF run a parallel registry for
> people who don't want to pay registrars and registries.  I think it
> would be unwise for the IETF to get into that business.
>
> Best regards,

> --
> Andrew Sullivan
> a...@anvilwalrusden.com

I think the difference is that ".alt" names should not be leaked into DNS,
but should be kept private.  I assume that DNS registrations have a cost
partly because of the infrastructure required if one chooses to publish
them in DNS.  Registrations under ".alt" would not have this overhead -
they should never reach DNS.  The whole purpose of a registry for ".alt"
sub-domains is simply to avoid name collisions.

--
Bob Harold