>I agree that if you had a registry that had no unique entry, there'd
>be no problem.  But if you have to be prepared for identifier
>collisions anyway, what use is the registry?

It tells you where to find out about foo.alt if you want to use that
particular un-DNS hack.  Other than that, not much.

Given the experience with usenet alt.*, it appears that in the absence
of a daddy to declare a winner when names collide, name collision
problems go away because it is much easier to avoid them than to
argue.  People used to the ICANN environment may find this a
conceptual challenge, but that's their problem.

R's,
John