On 3July2015Friday, at 9:26, Suzanne Woolf <suzworldw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It does seem to me that an important feature here is that "TLD" as we're
> using it is "name in the root zone (or root zone space), to be managed within
> a context that assumes DNS protocol and semantics as well as DNS-compatible
> name space." (That is, people using the term "TLD" to refer to single-label
> DNS-compatible name are incorrect-- "onion" is not a TLD, and that's largely
> the point.)

CHAOS names are DNS-compatible. But they are not anchored in the root of the
Internet class.

I guess my question here is, what would prevent House Finch Feathers OY from
applying for the DNS(IN) string ONION from ICANN because they want that as a
TLD in the IN class?

I will not be able to attend the DNSOPS WG since I arrive in Prague later in
the week, but would appreciate being part of this ongoing discussion.

/bill