>> With all due respect, this is a classic mistake that geeks make: thinking
>> that there can be some objective criterion or
>set of criteria that would make decisions simple. ...

>As I've said several times, I believe there are objective criteria that would
>cover the majority of cases. ...

Perhaps we're confusing objective criterial with mechanical criteria.

Objective criteria might be "a large and viable user community, and
identifiable significant harm if names that leak into the DNS
resolve."  We still have to agree on definitions for large, viable,
and significant, but those are the sort of decisions that human
adjudicators make every day.

A mechanical criterion might be "observable traffic from at least
100,000 different IP addresses every day for at least 30 days."
That'd be a horrible criterion, not least because it's easy
for a modestly well funded adversary to fake.

R's,
John