Paul,

On Jul 19, 2015, at 6:01 AM, Paul Vixie <p...@redbarn.org> wrote:
> there are no hoops here.
> people will register if they want to, and people will
> check the registry if they want to.

For the people who want to register, an exclusive registry explicitly creates a
discussion for everyone but the first registrant, i.e.:

With a non-exclusive registry:

Them: "Hey IANA, we're using .PAUL and here's the docs describing who we are
and how."
IANA: "OK. We'll add your information to the others already registered for that
label."

With an exclusive registry:

Them: "Hey IANA, we're using .PAUL and here's the docs describing who we are
and how."
IANA: "Um, sorry. Someone else is already using that label."
Them: "But we really like .PAUL and we have deployed a zillion instances that
make use of .PAUL"
IANA: "That's fine, but you're potentially creating an interoperability
problem."
Them: "So tell the other guys to stop, since we've been using .PAUL since the
early 1700s."
etc.

This smells like a hoop to me.

> so: offering someone a chance to register that a conflict exists does
> not serve the purpose of advancing interoperability.

It doesn't address the interoperability of non-interoperable domain name
overlays. It does advance interoperability in the sense of improving the state
of knowledge that the non-interoperable domain name overlays exist, how they
operate, who runs them, etc.

It seems to me that by making the registry exclusive, you're trying to put the
IESG/IETF/IANA in the role of gatekeeper of the non-interoperable domain name
overlays.

Regards,
-drc