David Conrad wrote:
> Paul,
>
> On Jul 17, 2015, at 8:39 AM, Paul Vixie <p...@redbarn.org> wrote:
>> we only need one cutout, something like .external, with an
>> IANA-maintained registry of non-dns uses, each pointing to an RFC that
>> describes as much as is possible to describe about that use.
>
> You mean like http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wkumari-dnsop-alt-tld-06?

yes, but not with .ALT, which is a politically desirable gTLD name, and
which allows the connotation of "alternate DNS". i suggested .EXTERNAL
because nobody will ever want it as a gTLD and because its connotation
is unambiguously "not DNS".

interestingly, in other namespaces, they use the local syntax equivilent
of ".INTERNET" to refer to names which have to be resolved in DNS.

seriously, i wouldn't object to warren's draft if the string he chose
hadn't been .ALT.

--
Paul Vixie