Hi Stephane,

On 21 Sep 2015, at 11:20, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 12:19:26PM -0400,
Joe Abley <jab...@hopcount.ca> wrote
a message of 111 lines which said:

Whether or not we should call an onion or mdns name a "domain name"
or something else is just a detail. I don't think agreeing on the
answer is going to solve any of the problems that we actually have.

I disagree. RFCs are written with words and discussions at the IETF or
elsewhere use words. Agreeing on the "right" words is important. Words
are not innocent. (Refusing to call .onion names "domain names" was
also a way to refuse the registration of .onion.)

I suspect I didn't explain myself very well.

I am all in favour of an accurate and unambiguous lexicon, and I think there's a lot to like about Ed's draft.

However, the problem we are struggling with (which Ed spoke more about in a follow-up e-mail) is the conflict between different name resolution protocols that have namespaces similar enough for applications to treat the same.

I think we need to address the architctural issue that the last label in what applications (and Ed) call a domain name is in some cases a protocol selector token, and in other cases is not.

(We might wish that there was a better answer than this, perhaps has part of the URI spec or something else, but let's face it, that particular quadraped has long since departed his straw-strewn abode).

Joe