On 2015-10-01 12:13+0100
Dick Franks <rwfra...@acm.org> wrote:

> Dick Franks
> ________________________
>

> On 1 October 2015 at 11:12, Shane Kerr <sh...@time-travellers.org> wrote:
>

> > In the case where people just want to reduce the damage of ANY queries
> > in reflection attacks, I quite like the PowerDNS option of forcing ANY
> > queries to TCP via truncation. I'm not sure if this has been documented
> > in any RFC, but if not then perhaps it bears mentioning too?
> >

> That rests on two assumptions:
>
> 1)  that damage limitation from reflection attacks is the primary concern
> here, which appears no longer to be the case.

The draft documents amplification attacks:

   ANY queries are also frequently used to exploit the amplification
   potential of DNS servers using spoofed source addresses and UDP
   transport (see [RFC5358]).  Having the ability to return small
   amplifiers.

Which is why I mention it.

> 2) that there is some plausible reason for doing ANY queries, in which case
> it would be interesting to know what that might be.

The entire draft presumes some plausible reason for doing ANY queries,
otherwise it would just say "we hereby deprecate ANY queries". :P

In fact the start of the motivations section tries to address this:

   ANY queries are legitimately used for debugging and checking the
   state of a DNS server for a particular owner name.

I'm not sure I totally agree, since I have never had occasion to use an
ANY query in anger, but some people seem really attached to it.

Cheers,

--
Shane