On 26/10/2015 06:39, Paul Vixie wrote:
> sanity check, someone?
>
> i believe that in dnssec, an empty non-terminal has a proof that the
> name exists, and a proof that there are no RR's. thus, vastly
> different from the signaling for NXDOMAIN.

RFC 4035 §3.1.3.2 appears to say differently :(

The subject of that section is "Including NSEC RRs: Name Error
Response", and it says:

"Note that this form of response includes cases in which SNAME
 corresponds to an empty non-terminal name within the zone (a name
 that is not the owner name for any RRset but that is the parent name
 of one or more RRsets)."

Paul and I already exchange mail off-list - I think we're both equally
surprised at the above.

Clarification from the authors of the rationale for this would be useful
here!

Ray