Bob Harold <rharo...@umich.edu> wrote:

> Reading these various ideas brings up a question in my mind.  If a server
> queries for the SOA of a zone and the serial number has not changed, can it
> then assume that all of the entries in its cache for that zone should still
> be valid now, and for the their original TTL value starting now?

As well as what Robert said, SOA serial numbers are (basically) only
relevant for the zone transfer protocol; if a zone is dynamically
synthesized you can expect to get different answers for its contents
without its serial number necessarily changing.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <d...@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/
Shannon, Rockall: West or southwest, backing south, 6 to gale 8, increasing