How deep do you expect the name tree to get?  I rarely see anything
more than four levels deep, and three times through the loop isn't
a whole lot.

Er, if on average you have to do three hash lookups instead of one, and hash lookups are the main expense to answering a query, then that would be 66% performance reduction on average on _every_ query. That's pretty significant. Am I missing something? Why does this sound like "not a whole lot" to you?

Because DNS caches aren't compute bound.

Regards,
John Levine, jo...@taugh.com, Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY