> so whenever i hear words like "that'll be slow for flat-hash dns caches"
> it reminds me of the joke that begins "doctor, it hurts when i do $this"
> and ends with "well, then don't do $this".

This sounds like a really good rejoinder until you realize that we are talking
about an optimization that is likely to produce very little actual benefit in
practice other than in the presence of certain kinds of PRSD attacks.   So the
current draft makes an algorithm which apparently works well for several
implementations work less well in order to get a benefit the magnitude of which
is unclear, but likely small.

As a matter of principle, of course, what you are saying is true.   However,
remember that what we are debating here is not whether to clarify the rules for
handling NXDOMAINs, but rather whether to add normative language strongly
urging implementations to do this optimization.   We all, I think, agree that
the clarification is good.   By your argument, we should not add the normative
language--we should just clarify the spec, and then see what happens.   If we
see widespread implementation of this optimization, then we can conclude that
it was worth doing.   If nobody implements it, or only tree-structured caches
implement it, then we can conclude that whatever benefit may have come from
doing the optimization wasn't sufficient to justify widespread implementation.

More likely, though, what we will see if we make this clarification without
adding normative language, is that implementors make intelligent use of the
optimization, as Wouter suggests, based on what will work most efficiently with
their implementation.   So once again I urge the working group to make this a
clarification and not a normative requirement, so that smart implementors can
do what makes the most sense in the context of their implementations.