Mark Andrews wrote:
In message<CAC=TB12xXJNbmexMA4w5oLU+xhQbh=tKH=d7ykblqeklvsj...@mail.gmail.com>,
=?UTF-8?Q?Marek_Vavru=C5=A1a?= writes:
I see the point but I don't really want to go down the EDNS route.

Why not?  It is cleaner as it deals with A-only, A and AAAA, and
AAAA-only sites without a second lookup once support is deployed.
It is supportable on a hop by hop basis.

i think we have to start planning for a world in which EDNS0 never reaches 75% penetration due to middleboxes having the high ground.

i think putting aaaa in the additional section and specifying that the AA bit covers all rr's matching qname or effective-qname, is likely to penetrate better than rrtype!=qtype in the answer section, though.

--
P Vixie