George Michaelson wrote:
What did I mis-understand? The APNIC 1x1 is a random sample over
users, and it sees significantly more than 75% EDNS0. More like 93%.

by query volume, or by rdns ip?

By query volume. And, we're at authority where I suspect you see the edge.

Once the query is covered by a modern competent resolver, and gets
passed, it acquires. EDNS0

most middleboxes who think they know what a dns packet has to look like and willfully intercept or rewrite or drop them, are between the stub and the (desired) rdns. i am not sanguine about getting edns0-carried data to a stub often enough during my lifetime to say, let's solve the a-vs-aaaa problem using another protocol extension.

if the internet is a territory, then the dns, like bgp, is the map of that territory. since many commercial and government actors want to control access to the internet, they mostly do it by controlling access to the dns. and their incentives are misaligned such that they do not care what they break or what upgrade paths they deny.

note that solving a+aaaa with an edns0 extension may be good enough, if we think that getting the aaaa rrsets cached more often will mean that the stub's aaaa query will less often lead to a cache miss, as long as the largest share of RTT for a stub query that leads to a cache miss is still on the rdns-to-auth path and not the stub-to-rdns path.

--
P Vixie