Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzme...@nic.fr> wrote:

> I've read it, noticed that it is not just a documentation of local
> practices but it wants to be published as BCP, and:
>
> * it is not clear which problem it is trying to solve.

Thanks Stephane. I agree with your observations, with a couple of
amendments...

> * caching SERVFAIL, as recommended (section 4), raises an interesting
>   question: for how long? (Unlike NXDOMAIN, SERVFAIL answers do not
>   provide an indirect TTL)

This is a feature of the forthcoming BIND 9.11. The default servfail-ttl
is one second. (I don't know if other servers have a similar feature.)

https://source.isc.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=bind9.git;a=blob;f=CHANGES;hb=refs/heads/master#l1370

> * if someone really wants to do "pre-fetching" (section 5), it does
>   not require a new RFC or an update of the name servers. Just request
>   the names you want, through the resolver/cache.

There was https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wkumari-dnsop-hammer which
seems to have been dropped through lask of interest. I think this is a
terrible shame, but I'm biased because of the first sentence of section 9.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <d...@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/  -  I xn--zr8h punycode
Fitzroy: Westerly or southwesterly 7 to severe gale 9, perhaps storm 10 later.