RFC 7766 is about DNS/TCP not about DNS/HTTP, the order of processing
has to be determined by the wrapping protocol. You would get it for
free if this draft was about TCP over HTTP or HTTP over DNS/TCP, but
it's not.

It's hard to believe we're reading the same draft. The one I'm reading is about wrapping DNS wire format requests in http, with a header saying whether it's wrapping UDP format or TCP format. (My preference is to lose the UDP and only wrap TCP, but that's a nit.)

So it's DNS in TCP in http. Since DNS in TCP handles multiple requests and out of order responses, so does this.

Regards,
John Levine, jo...@taugh.com, Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY