On 9 Aug 2016, at 4:05, Tony Finch wrote:

Greetings again. There are six terms that are commonly used when we talk
    about DNSSEC:
      - validation and validate
      - authentication and authenticate
      - verification and verify
Are they defined in any RFCs that we can use for the terminology-bis
    document?

RFC 4949 - Internet Security Glossary

I looked there, but the terms don't fit well for DNSSEC. If there are bits below that we can pick out, great, but it seems like a stretch.

--Paul Hoffman

   $ validate
      1. (I) Establish the soundness or correctness of a construct.
      Example: certificate validation. (See: validate vs. verify.)

2. (I) To officially approve something, sometimes in relation to a
      standard. Example: NIST validates cryptographic modules for
      conformance with [FP140].

   $ authenticate
      (I) Verify (i.e., establish the truth of) an attribute value
      claimed by or for a system entity or system resource. (See:
      authentication, validate vs. verify, "relationship between data
      integrity service and authentication services" under "data
      integrity service".)

Deprecated Usage: In general English usage, this term is used with
      the meaning "to prove genuine" (e.g., an art expert authenticates
      a Michelangelo painting); but IDOCs should restrict usage as
      follows:
      -  IDOCs SHOULD NOT use this term to refer to proving or checking
         that data has not been changed, destroyed, or lost in an
         unauthorized or accidental manner. Instead, use "verify".
- IDOCs SHOULD NOT use this term to refer to proving the truth or
         accuracy of a fact or value such as a digital signature.
         Instead, use "verify".
      -  IDOCs SHOULD NOT use this term to refer to establishing the
         soundness or correctness of a construct, such as a digital
         certificate. Instead, use "validate".

   $ authentication
      (I) The process of verifying a claim that a system entity or
      system resource has a certain attribute value. (See: attribute,
authenticate, authentication exchange, authentication information,
      credential, data origin authentication, peer entity
      authentication, "relationship between data integrity service and
      authentication services" under "data integrity service", simple
      authentication, strong authentication, verification, X.509.)

   $ verification
      1. (I) /authentication/ The process of examining information to
establish the truth of a claimed fact or value. (See: validate vs.
      verify, verify. Compare: authentication.)

      2. (N) /COMPUSEC/ The process of comparing two levels of system
      specification for proper correspondence, such as comparing a
      security model with a top-level specification, a top-level
      specification with source code, or source code with object code.
      [NCS04]

   $ verify
      (I) To test or prove the truth or accuracy of a fact or value.
      (See: validate vs. verify, verification. Compare: authenticate.)