Edward Lewis <edward.le...@icann.org> wrote:

> The question I keep asking myself is: How is this different from a
> client just hitting a server with all anticipated questions at one time?

Me too :-)

I can see an advantage to improving the case where the client can't
predict all the questions in advance, e.g. when the subsequent questions
depend on a SRV target or an SPF include: directive.

A big problem with additional data at the moment is a client doesn't know
whether an absence of data (no AAAA records) means the data doesn't exist,
so it still has to make followup queries to double check. A DNSSEC proof
of nonexistence could help.

> Why not just ask for qtype ANY all the time, for data sets owned by the
> same domain name.

Doesn't work reliably through caches, or with draft-ietf-dnsop-refuse-any :-)
Also, ANY doesn't actually improve latency compared to concurrent queries.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <d...@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/  -  I xn--zr8h punycode
Southeast Biscay: Variable 2 or 3, becoming northwesterly 4 or 5 for a time.