On Sun, Sep 18, 2016 at 6:03 PM, Paul Hoffman <paul.hoff...@vpnc.org> wrote:

>>> This study is from before the new gTLD program.  The assumption in the
>>> report need to be tested against what actually happened in the round of
>>> new gTLDs before it can be included as part of the fact basis for this
>>> work.  We also need information on the degree of success that the
>>> various mitigation strategies had in overcoming possible problems to
>>> have a full picture of the problem as it has been shown in practice.
>>

>> At a meeting a couple of weeks ago, I believe that someone said that
>> the junk traffic at the roots for each of .corp, .home and .mail still
>> greatly exceeds all of the traffic for the new gTLDs.  So I think it's
>> safe to say none of the mitigation strategies have worked.
>

> There is a difference between "mitigation" with "prevention". Few of use
> thought that publicity about upcoming collisions would have cause more than
> a few folks to fix the problem before it hit them.
>
>> The wildcard 127.0.53.53 and such are clever, but none of the domains
>> that have been delegated had significant collision issues to start
>> with so it's hard to argue they've been effective.
>

> It is impossible to measure the effectiveness without knowing how many
> collision queries are just noise (queries that will cause no noticeable
> damage if they started coming back with results). In the case of mitigation
> through wildcard-to-localhost, it is safe to assume that many organizations
> did in fact mitigate; we simply can't tell how many or when.

... and just for the record, much much more could have been determined
(and users better warned / informed) if the address handed out was a
server which displayed an error / links to more information[0], or if
the name-servers serving the wildcard were required to collect and
publish information and statistics. This would have allowed analysis
of the effectiveness of the mitigations, etc.

Yup, I'm beating a dead-horse here, but people keep rediscovering the topic.

[0]: This could have a webserver which localized the page (based on IP
/ Accept-Language), a mailserver with a useful error, SSH / telnet
banners, etc. I figured out ~20 protocols which allowed some sort of
useful banner return. The logs could have been anonymized, or only
statistics saved...

> --Paul Hoffman
>
> (Disclaimer: I'm now on ICANN staff, but well before I was, I wrote "Guide
> to Name Collision Identification and Mitigation for IT Professionals" for
> ICANN.)

idea in the first place.
of pants.
   ---maf