Warren,

On October 3, 2016 at 12:33:12 PM, Warren Kumari (war...@kumari.net) wrote:
... and just for the record, much much more could have been determined
(and users better warned / informed) if the address handed out was a
server which displayed an error / links to more information[0],
I'm not particularly interested in beating the smudge on the ground that was
the honey pot dead horse yet again. Here's an idea: if you can get Google
lawyers to accept the full legal liability and privacy implications for running
such a honey pot (regardless of how it is implemented and for what protocols),
let me know and I'll argue that we should do an RFP to outsource the operation
of such a honey pot in the next round. Until then, perhaps we can let the dead
horse rest in peace?

 or if
the name-servers serving the wildcard were required to collect and
publish information and statistics. This would have allowed analysis
of the effectiveness of the mitigations, etc.

This, however, is more interesting and should another round occur, I think it'd
make sense to do this in a staged fashion, first to ICANN name servers, then to
the registry's name servers.

Of course, IIRC, people were arguing that you shouldn't ask questions when you
aren't sure what you'll do with the answers...

Regards,
-drc