At Wed, 02 Nov 2016 15:10:18 +0900 (JST),
fujiw...@jprs.co.jp wrote:

> I submitted draft-fujiwara-dnsop-resolver-update-00 that tries to
> improve resolver algorithm.
>
> Please read it and comment.

As promised, here are specific comments on the draft text:

- general: the title and file name seem to be too generic for the
  actual content.  I suggest making them more specific, focusing on
  the subject of this draft.

- Section 1

   [...] And it may break requirements of resolvers'
   answers described in Section 3.2.

  I don't get it.  Specifically which requirement does this refer to?
  And, specifically how this override break that requirement?

- Section 3.1

   As described above, parent side NS RRSet makes a new zone.  Parent
   side NS RRSet (referral) and glue records are all the information to
   access servers for the child zone.

   That is, resolvers SHOULD NOT use child side NS RRSet to iterate
   zones.

  There seems to be a logical leap between the first and second
  paragraph; I don't get why we SHOULD NOT use the child side NS
  RRset for subsequent iteration simply because the parent NS RRset is
  used for the iteration first time (which I guess the first para
  tries to say).  In fact, the child side NS RRset might be a more
  complete, accurate and up to date set of the NS, while some part of
  the parent NS RRset may be unusable.  This is related to the high
  level comment I made in my previous message - I see and support the
  seeming background motivation of this requirement, but I believe we
  need more careful considerations and probably a much less drastic
  update.

- Section 4

   However, people sets different NS RRSets with mistakes, or
   intentionally.

  Specifically what kind of intent does this "intentionally" mean?
  btw, there's a typo here: s/sets/set/

- Section 4

   If the zone data of name server(s) specified by referrals and
   specified by zone apex NS RRSet are different, name resolution
   becomes unstable.

  I'd suggest changing it "name resolution *may* become unstable",
  since simply because they are different does not necessarily lead to
  an unstable behavior.

- Section 4

   The cache overwrite of NS RRSet may break
   "Referrals and glue records are information to access servers for
   child zones" specified by [RFC1034] section 4.2.1.

  I can't find the quoted text in any of RFC1034, let alone in Section
  4.2.1.  And, in any case, I don't understand what "may break" means
  here.  Please explain in more detail.

- Section 4

   The overwrite by zone apex NS RRSet induced security vulnerabilities.
   In 2012, "Ghost Domain Names: Revoked Yet Still Resolvable"
   [DUAN2012GHOST] was reported.  [...]

  While I see this incident is relevant to the subject of this draft,
  I think it can be misleading especially if it's intended to be used
  to support the current strong recommendation (to which I disagree)
  of this draft.  It may be true that the mastermind behind ghost
  domain names exploited a larger child-NS TTL with NS RRset
  replacement behavior of resolvers, I'd say this situation is quite
  extreme in that the admin of the zone is considered evil for a
  reason irrelevant to DNS itself and the parent zone tried to kill
  the delegation without the consent of the child zone admin.  In
  fact, this intent of the child zone admin could even be helpful if
  they are a good net citizen when there's an outage at the parent
  zone; as long as the child NS RRset is kept cached from the child
  zone, resolution attempts for the child zone will survive the outage
  of the parent.  So, this seems to me to be another case where this
  draft is one sided.  Referring to this incident is probably a good
  idea, but IMO it should actually be just one background story
  instead of a "vulnerability" evidence to support the killing of
  RFC2181 data ranking.

- Section 5.1

   [...] Resolvers MUST NOT use zone apex NS RRSets to iterate.

  As argued so far, IMO this recommendation is way too strong and
  should be changed.  (If we agree, we can discuss specially how we
  change it).

- Section 5.2

   Referrals and glue records in
   pre-loaded zone files MUST NOT be answered to stub resolvers.

  I don't understand what this sentence tries to specify.  Could this
  be explained in more detail?  I also don't understand why it
  specifically says "stub" resolvers; isn't it generally impossible
  for a responding DNS server (whether recursive or authoritative) to
  differentiate stub resolvers and non-stub resolvers?

- Section 5.3

   The update does not effect to DNS Query Name Minimisation [RFC7816]
   because answers from authoritative servers don't change.  Delegation
   cache and authoritative data cache separation will need small
   implementation changes.

  I don't understand the relationship between the first and second
  sentences.  Is the second sentence related to qname minimization?

- Section 5.4

   This update makes impossible to control of TTL value of NS RRSet by
   the child zone owner.  However, overwrite of the referral does not
   occur always and TTL control may increase queries to authoritative
   servers.

  s/makes impossible/makes it impossible/
  The second sentence didn't parse well to me...could you explain what
  it tries to say in a different way?

- Section 8: I'm not sure about the intent of making this section
  empty, but I suspect this document will eventually need a non-empty
  Security Considerations section.  If this is just a TODO item for
  now, it's better to clearly note that in the draft.

--
JINMEI, Tatuya