Daniel Migault <daniel.miga...@ericsson.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> This message starts a Working Group Last Call (WGLC) for
> draft-ietf-curdle-dnskey-eddsa-01.
>
> The version to be reviewed is
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-curdle-dnskey-eddsa-01

Hello again.  Since my last review of -01, I have re-read the document
again, and noticed the text regarding signature contexts.  I believe the
use of contexts is in general ill-advised, and its presence in the
document highlights a need for a security consideration to address the
problem that context attempts to mitigate but does not succeed with:
don't re-use private keys for other purposes.  If this best practice
advice is followed, contexts is unwanted complexity instead of something
good.  If a private key is used for other purposes, contexts won't save
you -- DJB explained this on the CFRG list some time ago in a way that
convinced me.

Thus, allow me to suggest that

1) The draft is modified to not use signature contexts.

2) The security consideration has a new paragraph that reads:

   A private key used for a DNSSEC zone MUST NOT be used for any other
   purpose than for that zone.  Otherwise cross-protocol or
   cross-application attacks are possible.

Perhaps this text is better suited in the Introduction section, but it
bears repeating in the security consideration anyway.

/Simon