> On the computers I know, the stub resolver is in one shared library and
> the SOCKS proxy is in another.  What's the difference?

The SOCKS library uses a completely different data transport (one that is
circuit-switched and layered over TCP), with very different capabilities
from the usual packet-switched transport.  Adding support for mDNS to the
stub resolver makes no change to the way the actual data is pushed around.

> You can run POP3 over ToR if you want to.

You can also run POP3 over X.25.  Shall we special-case .x25, and require
all applications to use PF_X25 instead of PF_INET6 whenever they see
a name ending in .x25?  This essentially what RFC 7686 requires for .onion.

> If we expect the client libraries to know that .homenet is special, it
> doesn't matter what's in the root.

I was under the impression that .homenet is handled entirely within the
DNS resolver of the Homenet router, which combines:

  - an authoritative DNS server for .homenet;
  - a hybrid mDNS proxy;
  - a recursive DNS resolver for the rest of the namespace.

In other words, I was assuming that we put enough Stenberg-Cheshire magic
in the Homenet router's resolver to ensure that no host changes are
necessary.  If that is not the plan, then I'd appreciate a clarification.

-- Juliusz