On Feb 3, 2017, at 9:10 PM, Andrew Sullivan <a...@anvilwalrusden.com> wrote:
> My memory is that only after that
> did we start thinking of a sort of 1918-style part of the DNS as
> well.  That may have been a mistake, since as this discussion is
> showing the properties of an in-protocol, in-DNS namespace without
> delegations are somewhat different to alternative-protocol uses that
> do not rely on the DNS at all.

I think that we've seen a number of questions go by that lead to the conclusion
that it makes sense to have two hierarchies: one for experimental non-DNS
queries, and one for locally served zones.   I don't know if we _need_ the .LSZ
(or whatever) SUTLDN, but if we need to be able to have a special-use top-level
domain name that has an un-signed delegation, it probably ought to be different
than the SUTLDN that is used for non-DNS stuff, so that both names can have the
appropriate configuration in the root zone.