Maybe DNS authority server software could auto-generate TXT records for what
would otherwise be ENTs, or zone administrators could add them manually,

E.g. ent.example.com TXT "This object intentionally left blank."

This avoids the ENT issue.

I can't think of any way that would break anything. The issue with ENTs is that
they have children, which are not changed or harmed. Preventing the erroneous
NXDOMAIN by a hack is still preventing an NXDOMAIN which should not be returned.

Brian

Sent from my iPhone