In message <0394528c-99cd-41d4-9ab6-844d13182...@gmail.com>, Brian Dickson writ
es:
> Maybe DNS authority server software could auto-generate TXT records for what=
>  would otherwise be ENTs, or zone administrators could add them manually,
>
> E.g. ent.example.com TXT "This object intentionally left blank."
>
> This avoids the ENT issue.
>
> I can't think of any way that would break anything. The issue with ENTs is t=
> hat they have children, which are not changed or harmed. Preventing the erro=
> neous NXDOMAIN by a hack is still preventing an NXDOMAIN which should not be=
>  returned.
>
> Brian

Brian.
        There is only one time you can trust a NXDOMAIN to mean
there is no data under it.  That is when it validates as secure.

At the moment we have Ted saying that if you want privacy you MUST
also turn on DNSSEC validation and implement QNAME minimisation and
implement agressive negative caching (still a I-D).  This is all
because of ungrounded fears of people using DNS as a way to do a
opt-in experimental naming in .alt where we intend to have experimental
opt-in naming services.  Add to that it is suggested that we create
yet another TLD (.lcl) where such services would be allowed.

Mind boggling inconsistancy.

Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC