On 3/16/2017 3:16 AM, tjw ietf wrote:
All

We've had a lot of WG discussion on this, and it seems relevant to do a formal call for adoption. If there are outstanding issues raised during the CfA, time in Chicago will be set aside to have those discussions.

This starts a Call for Adoption for: draft-hardaker-rfc5011-security-considerations

The draft is available here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-hardaker-rfc5011-security-considerations/

Please review this draft to see if you think it is suitable for adoption by DNSOP, and comments to the list, clearly stating your view.

I've no objection to placing this as a WG item for work.

However, as I've indicated to Wes and Warren, it's currently missing the point.

Here's the alternate abstract text I proposed to them:

This document describes the math behind the minimum time-length a DNS zone publisher must wait after publishing a new trust anchor before having a reasonable belief that all operational, well-behaved 5011 clients have installed that new trust anchor at their zone trust point. As publisher guidance, this is also the minimum time the publisher should wait before revoking the complete set of previously published/installed trust anchors and depending on the newly published trust anchor as the sole point of trust and the minimum time the publisher should continuing publishing a revoked key (and its signature) after revocation.

The timing issue you need to resolve is not when you begin providing RRSigs with the new key, but when you revoke all of the other keys at the trust point.

The document as currently drafted still assumes there is only one trust anchor key as steady state. That's a) a bad assumption, and b) a bad operational policy.

Mike

Please also indicate if you are willing to contribute text, review, etc.

If there are

This call for adoption ends: 30 March 2017

Thanks,
tim wicinski
DNSOP co-chair