>> For user privacy concern, we can revise  ECS(114.240.0.0/24
>> <http://114.240.0.0/24>) => EIL (CHINA, BEIJING, UNICOM),give a
>> tradeoff between privacy and precise.
>
> Nice, this sounds like appropriate tradeoff to me.
>

> Side-effect of this is that it removes need to maintain copies of
> various Geo-IP databases all over the place, which is an improvement to
> operational practice.

I disagree.  Unless you get the clients to implement EIL, then you’ve simply
just pushed the need for geo-ip mapping from CDN to DNS provider.  Of course
one would assume that an ISP already has this mapping, but 3rd party DNS would
not.  So either they have to build the mappings,  maintain a copy of some
Geo-IP database, or hope that all the clients have it implemented.  With 3rd
party DNS carrying double digit percentages of traffic (iirc ~15% total from
2015 OARC presentation), that’s not something to just brush away.

— Brian