> On Mar 22, 2017, at 3:05 AM, Jim Reid <j...@rfc1035.com> wrote:
>
>> On 21 Mar 2017, at 14:53, Suzanne Woolf <suzworldw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> RFC 3172 was written in 2001…
>
> RFC 3172 was an attempt to rewrite history and contrive an acronym: Address
> and Routing Parameter Area - really?

Well, no. I thought it wasn’t rewriting anything, but setting a future
direction. (The backronym was cute or annoying, depending on your POV, but
ultimately not that important.)

>> Respectfully, I’ve always wondered who has this problem (US or non-US)
>> besides network infrastructure geeks Of a Certain Age (yes, including
>> myself, and many IETF participants).
>
> It's a convenient tool for those hostile to USG "control" of the Internet: ie
> the US military is responsible for everything under .arpa, the US military's
> ARPA has still got some special status in the operation/development/control
> of the Internet, etc, etc.

So the answer to “Why not actually use it where it’s technically suitable” is
essentially “installed base”?

I don’t mean to sound flippant— I’m just trying to understand the view that
there’s a bigger obstacle to using .arpa than there is to asking ICANN for a
root zone entry and engaging with all of the resulting complexities.

thanks,
Suzanne