> On 22 Mar 2017, at 14:53, Ted Lemon <mel...@fugue.com> wrote:
>
> On Mar 22, 2017, at 10:50 AM, Tim Chown <t...@ecs.soton.ac.uk
> <mailto:t...@ecs.soton.ac.uk>> wrote:
>> Interesting question then as to how often a typical home user would need to
>> do so, if there’s GUI-driven service discovery on top?
>
> How often do end users access the web ui of their browser?
>
> (I don't know, just curious if you do.)

Well, when I print, it’s by selecting a printer by a name (that I or someone
gave it) from a list of printers I’ve already discovered (or configured).
When I throw a movie from my phone to the TV, it’s by hitting an icon on the
video player.
If I play from a music collection, it’s listed as an icon in Finder on my Mac,
as are NAS devices.

I’d like to think such uses are largely all GUI/icon driven.  Or perhaps
increasingly voice driven, like Alexa. How often will foo.homenet.arpa, or
foo.homenet be used in typical cases?

Is the explicit .arpa use case around using the service or device/service
management?  Perhaps the latter is when I’m more likely to do web-based or
ssh/CLI management.

Tim