Hi John,

On 13 Sep 2017, at 18:33, John Levine wrote:

I would settle for SHOULD NOT. Can you elaborate on the debugging?

There is something strange going on with my remote server, and I use
localhost.mydomain so a little debugging server on my own computer
can steal state and see whats going on.

On the other hand, I could do this just as well:

gazornplotz.mydomain IN A 127.0.0.1

so never mind.  Still not sure I haven't missed something, though.

But now (with either name) you are exposing users of your server to the exact problems described in http://seclists.org/bugtraq/2008/Jan/270. Why not use /etc/hosts instead, so you only expose yourself?

Kind regards,
--
Peter van Dijk