In message <26e56255-6169-4626-95e8-a9d6a2d5e...@fugue.com>, Ted Lemon writes:
> On Sep 12, 2017, at 10:15 PM, John Levine <jo...@taugh.com> wrote:
> > Believe it or not, there are real non-loopback localhost domain names,
> > like localhost.reddit.com <http://localhost.reddit.com/>.
> >
> > I agree that localhost.<foo> pointing to loopback is generally asking
> > for trouble, but I am not at this point sufficiently confident that it
> > is never ever a good idea to say MUST NOT rather than SHOULD NOT.  I
> > can for example imagine ways that might make some kinds of debugging
> > easier.
>
> When we look at edge cases like this, it's tempting to be swept away by
> the futility of trying to close every gap.   But it's still worth closing
> the ones we can close.   Trying to outlaw localhost.* is hopeless.  But
> outlawing *.localhost is certainly valid and viable, and as DNSSEC
> adoption increases, more and more it will be the case that we actually
> need do nothing to break it.   "localhost" + search list still fails
> unsafe.

Why would we want to outlaw *.localhost?  Just because it is
inconvient for the IAB and ICANN that they didn't address this issue
correctly years ago.

Oh sorry you can't use SRV with localhost to assign a port to this
protocol THAT HAS NO DEFAULT PORT and only a NAME.  Is this what you
REALLY want to do?

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: ma...@isc.org