On 13 November 2017 at 06:52, John Kristoff <j...@depaul.edu> wrote:

> REFUSED does not seem ideal to me either, but what if anything might be
> better is probably ripe discussion in a new draft.
>
> It makes perfect sense to me.  REFUSED is an indication that the querier
has been blocked from asking that question (or receiving the answer they
requested) by configuration, as distinct from a broken configuration
preventing them from getting that answer (SERVFAIL).   Given that upward
referrals have obvious problems (There is no protocol or process to tell a
TLD operator "I am not authoritative for that delegation someone else asked
you to point at me") it seems to me that REFUSED is the only obvious choice
for indicating that an authoritative-only server is not authoritative for
anything at or below the QNAME.