On 29 November 2017 at 21:23, Andrew Sullivan <a...@anvilwalrusden.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 09:18:39PM +0000, Dick Franks wrote:
> >
> > And said referral could be to an arbitrary node in the DNS tree,  i.e.
> > possibly "upward"?
> >
> > Or am I missing something?
>
> That depends on whether you believe the later part of the algorithm in
> RFC 1034 (where it says to do things from the cache) is part of the
> "referral" part, particularly in a mixed-mode server where it has
> received a query with RD=0.  The list appears to have strong feelings
> about that.  It's why Joe and I wrote draft-sullivan-dnsop-refer-down.

Mark's example involved two unrelated (which I mistakenly referred to as
arbitrary) zones, and a server having authoritative data for both.
Cached data not involved.

Until Mark's intervention, I was convinced that referrals were downwards
only.
I was trying to establish if this creates a counter-example, which might
require
me to unconvince myself.