At Thu, 25 Jan 2018 16:03:08 +0000,
Tony Finch <d...@dotat.at> wrote:

> > I am not nearly so enthusiastic about an important component of
> > the draft.  Specifically, I'd like to suggest that while the
> > requirement for recursive resolvers to return NXDOMAIN for "localhost."
> > is well-intentioned, it will prove counter-productive to the
> > motivating goals of this draft.
>
> This is a legitimate worry, but it's based on incorrect information.
>
> Stub resolvers already sink localhost queries themselves - they don't rely
> on their recursive servers.

Could you be more specific about it?  It may be a minority
implementation, but I thought traditional stub resolver
implementations in BSD variants systems (getaddrinfo/gethostbyname
with the backend of libresolv) didn't hardocde special logic for
"localhost." yet.  It's true that such implementations refer to
/etc/hosts and it has system-installed mapping between 'localhost.'
and ::1 by default.  Do you mean (in addition to hardcoding the
special logic) this kind of combination of generic implementation with
default system configuration?  I'm asking this because I think the
difference between this and hardcoded implementation can matter in the
context of this draft.

--
JINMEI, Tatuya