At Thu, 25 Jan 2018 20:22:36 +0000,
Tony Finch <d...@dotat.at> wrote:

> > Could you be more specific about it?  It may be a minority
> > implementation, but I thought traditional stub resolver
> > implementations in BSD variants systems (getaddrinfo/gethostbyname
> > with the backend of libresolv) didn't hardocde special logic for
> > "localhost." yet.  It's true that such implementations refer to
> > /etc/hosts and it has system-installed mapping between 'localhost.'
> > and ::1 by default.  Do you mean (in addition to hardcoding the
> > special logic) this kind of combination of generic implementation with
> > default system configuration?
>
> Exactly, yes.

Okay, then would such a system be deemed to conform to this part of
the draft?

   3.  Name resolution APIs and libraries MUST recognize localhost names
       as special, and MUST always return an appropriate IP loopback
       address for IPv4 and IPv6 address queries and negative responses
       for all other query types.

It's not clear to me, and either way I believe the draft should be
clearer on these points (see also my latest response to Petr.  If the
intent of the draft is to prohibit any user customization, it should
explicitly say so (with, IMO, some more explanation); if the intent is
to allow such customization, I believe we should actually loosen it to
SHOULDs).

--
JINMEI, Tatuya