At Mon, 22 Jan 2018 11:18:08 -0500,
Suzanne Woolf <suzworldw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Please focus feedback on: Is this draft ready to go to the IESG for
> approval as an RFC? If not, can you suggest specific changes it
> needs?

I myself don't have a particular opinion on whether to send it to the
IESG, but I don't think it's ready for it based on my understanding of
the WG discussion so far.  In particular, I don't think I saw a wg
consensus about one major objection to the idea: "I'd like to keep my
right of configuring my DNS servers (authoritative or recursive) to
return whatever I want to 'localhost' queries".  Again, I personally
don't claim this right, but I see the concern.  If my observation is
correct and the WG has actually not reached a clear consensus on this,
I believe it should first achieve it.  If I miss a reached consensus,
I wouldn't oppose to it, but I believe the draft should discuss
how/why it justifies dismissing such concerns.

Some specific comments on the 02 version follow.

- (editorial) Section 1:
   This increases the likelihood
   that non-conformant stub resolvers will not go undetected.

  This is a kind of double negation ('not...undetected') and it was
  difficult to me to understand it on a first read.  I'd suggest
  revising it to, e.g:

   This increases the likelihood
   that non-conformant stub resolvers will go detected.

- Section 2

   The domain "localhost.", and any names falling within ".localhost.",
   are known as "localhost names".

  I'm afraid this definition can be a bit ambiguous.  It could read as
  if "a.localhost.example.' is a 'localhost name'.  I'd suggest:

   The domain "localhost.", and any names ending with "localhost.",
   are known as "localhost names".

- Section 3

   1.  Users are free to use localhost names as they would any other
       domain names.

  It's not clear to me what this sentence means.

- Section 3

   7.  DNS Registries/Registrars MUST NOT grant requests to register
       localhost names in the normal way to any person or entity.

  It's a bit awkward to me to use an RFC2119 keyword for what
  registries/registrars should (or should not) do.

- Section 5.1

   In this
   case, the requirement that the application resolve localhost names on
   its own may be safe to ignore, but only if all the requirements under
   point 2 of Section 3 are known to be followed by the resolver that is
   known to be present in the target environment.

  I don't understand this sentence, especially the phrase "if all the
   requirements under point 2 of Section 3 are known to be followed by
   the resolver".  Point 2 of Section 3 talks about application
   behavior (and I interpret "application" is a user of resolver, not
   resolver itself), so what does it mean by "known to be followed by
   the resolver"?

- Section 5.2

   Hosts like "localhost.example.com" and
   "subdomain.localhost.example.com" contain a "localhost" label, but
   are not themselves localhost names, as they do not fall within
   "localhost.".

  I suggest: 'as they do not end with "localhost.".' (see my comment on
  Section 2 above).

- Section 6.1

   Some application software differentiates between the hostname
   "localhost" and the IP address "127.0.0.1".

  You might also want to refer to ::1 here.

--
JINMEI, Tatuya