Ondřej Surý wrote:
I think that modifying (or removing stuff from) the DNS standard(s)
MUST NOT be driven by “how simple it is”, but “how useful it is”.

This would just lead into the situation that we would have two
categories: “oh, that's too simple to remove” and “oh, that’s too
difficult to remove” and nothing in between.

the dichotomy presented here is false. interoperability is a priority. the observations that you aren't using some feature, and that noone you know is using that feature, do not support a conclusion that the feature is not in use. the internet is bigger than what you can measure.

--
P Vixie