On 26 March 2018 at 16:42, Paul Vixie <p...@redbarn.org> wrote:

> Ondřej Surý wrote:
>
>> No, I am claiming that no current Internet standard is using those
>> records and they were already marked as EXPERIMENTAL or OBSOLETE 30
>> years ago.
>>

> the original specification of these RR types is still in effect,
> regardless of whether any other specification currently specifies whether
> to use them.
>
> i don't entirely disagree that the Internet System definition ought to be
> a window, adding new things and deleting old things as it marches down the
> years.
>
> but if you want to deprecate something that somebody somewhere may still
> be using, then it's because the definition for it is still in effect --
> thus neither experimental nor obsolete as you begin.
>
> the process for doing so is more than reaching consensus on this working
> group. figure out a schedule that includes outreach.

This hypothetical somebody somewhere has already had 30 years warning that
these RR's will disappear or be replaced by something better.

Deprecation signals end of life, end of support, end of story.

To speak of outreach in this particular case is a nonsense; your
hypothetical friend has been ignoring the real world for 30 years, and
nothing drops into his mailbox these days.