John R. Levine wrote:

Assuming we agree that the table also says where to find the registry
for second level names, this removes and need for special cases. The top
level names _tcp _udp _sctp _dccp all work for SRV and URI and take
service names on the second level.

if you view the use of _tcp by more than one rrtype as a coincidence rather than as evidence for the need for a registry, then we can simply define the global registry out of existence (where it has been until now) and ensure that every rrtype's registry of "_" names is public and easily found on the IANA web site.

--
P Vixie