Phillip Hallam-Baker <ph...@hallambaker.com> wrote:

> So don't you dare claim that software updates are essential, that is an
> ideological position learned from a limited set of experience.

My position is that software updates extend the lifetime of a device. If a
device depends on external services then there's no way you can provide an
up-front guarantee that it will still work in 20 years time, but I think
it is worth doing what we can to minimize the chance of failure of old
devices and old software.

(Tangentially sort-of related to CableLabs, smart TVs are not a good
example of devices that use external services and continue to work for
many years...)

> But even if we accept the need for updates, where does the ground truth
> for the updates come from?

Your vendor gets to decide :-)

Tony.
--