On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 5:04 PM Tony Finch <d...@dotat.at> wrote:

> Ondřej Surý <ond...@isc.org> wrote:
> >
> > Do people think the SIG(0) is something that we should keep in DNS and
> > it will be used in the future or it is a good candidate for throwing off
> > the boat?
>
> SIG(0) is the only DNS feature that (could) allow unauthenticated client
> access to an authenticated server, which would allow
>
> * secure inteerface to resolver (maybe with SIG(0) + TKEY -> TSIG,
>   but now  probably better to use TLS or DoH)
>
> * secure stealth secondaries (maybe TLS support would be better)

​<no hats>​

​... what I'd alway wanted[0] was to be able to setup my own recursive name
server somewhere on the Internet, and then only allow myself (and a few of
my closest friends) to be able to query it.

1: Obviously having it as an open-recursive is not the answer (e.g it would
show up in Jared's list within a few days :-))
2: Everyone travels, and so adding and removing myself (and a few of my
closest friends) from ACLs won't realistically work
3: The obvious "just use a VPN" / SSH tunnels / etc is simply annoying.

SIG(0) seemed like the perfect solution -- toss something in resolv.conf
next to the nameserver, and <handwave> magic happens. Unfortunately, this
doesn't actually, you know, exist... (and much of it can now be solved with
DNS-over-TLS, but still...)

So, SIG(0) could be many nice things, but without more implementations is
is hobbled...

[0]: Ok, I haven't *always* wanted this, only for the past ~18 years...

> Tony.
> --
> f.anthony.n.finch  <d...@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/
> an equitable and peaceful international

I don't think the execution is relevant when it was obviously a bad idea in
the first place.
regret at having chosen those particular rabid weasels and that pair of
pants.
   ---maf