On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 11:24 PM Davey Song <songlinj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The draft says zone digest is not for protecting zone transmition. IMHO,
> the treat model is  MITM attack by malicious editing on on-disk data (NS
> and glue especially) and server the new zone to end user. DNS digest
> intends to enable end users (resolvers)  automatically detect the
> modifation ( and drop the zone?).

That is one possible threat, but I think it's pretty clear from mailing
list discussion that verifying that the zone is transmitted correctly is
one of the key use cases (whether that is post zone transfer verification,
or out-of-band delivery):

   "It allows a receiver of
   the zone file to verify the zone file's authenticity, especially when
   used in combination with DNSSEC.  This technique makes the message
   digest a part of the zone file itself, allowing anything to verify
   the zone file as a whole, no matter how it is transmitted."

Shumon.