On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 11:07 PM Mark Andrews <ma...@isc.org> wrote:

> > On 27 Jul 2018, at 12:39 pm, Steve Crocker <st...@shinkuro.com> wrote:
> >
> > The passage below puzzles me.  Why do you want servers to get the root
> zone from less trusted sources?
>
> 1) to spread load.
> 2) not all recursive servers have direct access to authoritative sources.
> Some times they need to go through intermediaries.  The same will be true
> with transfers of the root zone.

Maybe I am wrong, but having lots of servers all around the world asking
for the same update at the same time looks like a good place to use
bittorrent.  (Is that reasonable?)  So the 'sources' will be untrusted, and
we do need some way to verify the resulting file that we get.

I like the XHASH idea, it seems to reduce the work required on each
update.  But I would be ok with ZONEMD also.

--
Bob Harold