On 28. 10. 18 18:20, A. Schulze wrote:
> Am 28.10.18 um 18:14 schrieb Paul Vixie:
>> there is no need to make production AXFR queries for the root zone from
>> "real" root servers any more.
>
> I agree to separate production and AXFR services.
> A formal statement of ICANN *which is not limited to l.root-servers.net.*
> would make things much more clear.

Well, AXFR is not strictly necessary.

E.g. implementation of RFC 7706-like feature in Knot Resolver pulls zone
file from a HTTPS URL so it can reuse any CDN you like (or not).

After all 7706 implementation is just an optimization so it might use
non-DNS service if desired and nothing bad would happen if it is not
available.

(It is important to note that our implementation imports data from zone
file into cache so it will simply expire and naturally fallback to full
recursion if subsequent refresh attemps fail.)

--
Petr Špaček  @  CZ.NIC