Hi Paul,

On 31 Oct 2018, at 14:54, Paul Vixie <p...@redbarn.org> wrote:

> Jim Reid wrote:
>
>>> On 31 Oct 2018, at 00:27, Mark Andrews<ma...@isc.org>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Bootstrap is still a issue.  Over fast TA rolling makes it more of
>>> a issue.
>>
>> Indeed. And that's the underlying problem that needs to be fixed IMO
>> - for instance when/if there's an emergency rollover.
>
> bootstrappers should have https access to a complete history of root ksk,
> each one signed by its predecessor. this doesn't handle revocation, but
> nothing in dnssec handles revocation, and that's by design, and so i'm
> inclined not to worry about it.

The existing scheme provides bootstrappers with a complete history of trust
anchors (published by digest). The published object was intended to be
accompanied by a detached signature that could be trusted by a vendor, since
there was to be a certificate chain from the object-signing certificate back to
an X.509 trust anchor that made sense to the client (e.g. an iOS code-signing
key, a Windows code-signing key, an ISC code-signing key, etc, etc). This is
described in RFC 7958.

The only "vendor" that ever published such a certificate was the (largely
proof-of-concept) "ICANN" vendor.

I'm not suggesting that the scheme described in that document is good, or that
it shouldn't be replaced with something better, but it's one possible starting
point for the discussion.

Joe